Friday, August 10, 2012

Knit Top for Me: Vogue 1306

As much as I love sewing woven tops, I really like to wear knit tops better.  I find that I always reach for knit tops when I'm getting dressed.  I get a little bored with straight up tshirts, even though I wear those a lot too, so I'm always on the lookout for a good knit top pattern.  When I saw this Vogue Rebecca Taylor pattern on Little Bettty's blog, I loved it.  I bought the pattern online from a BMV sale (my fanatical self was fortunate they were on sale right then), because I didn't want to wait for a Joann sale.


The pattern called for a stable knit, and I think that is key to success.  I had a pretty stable cream bamboo knit in my stash that I used (and obviously didn't iron before or after I made the top).  I think that this pattern would be kind of a nightmare to sew in a stretchy, spandex-y knit, because of the details (which, in my opinion, make the top).  The instructions are great and result in a really nicely finished product.  I'm not sure if I'd ever sewn with a Vogue Designer pattern before.  I've always been kind of intimidated by them, but I really am happy with how this turned out, and with the techniques specified in the instructions.



I really passed over this pattern when it first came out.  I'm not sure why, because I really like it now.  Maybe my eye hadn't adjusted to the style yet.  I also modified it a little to minimize the hi-low hem.  I know they're trendy, but I'm not super trendy :)  It still has a little mullet hem in back, but I think I trimmed a couple inches off the original pattern in back.


I'm also wearing a pair of jeans I just finished, but haven't blogged.  I still need to do that.  They're a copy from a favorite pair of Lucky jeans I've had for a while.  I used the press'n'seal method of copying them and I'm really happy with how they turned out.  Stay tuned...  :)


3 comments:

  1. This is really sharp- I love this pattern but fear the neck facings- yours look,s so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love your version and the changes you made! This is next on my list! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete