Monday, October 1, 2012

Gray Velveteen Sunday Brunch Jacket

The Sunday Brunch Jacket and Skirt pattern was one of the first patterns that caught my eye from Oliver + S.  This was before I had any kids, and was not interested the least in sewing for kids (oh, how times have changed :).  I saw this pattern, and the Jumprope Dress, though, and couldn't help but notice how adorable they were.


So it's been on my list to make for a long time.  I was a little intimidated by it, but I shouldn't have been.  It's just as well drafted and has just as excellent instructions as the rest of the Oliver + S patterns, so even though it appeared trickier, it went together beautifully.  I used a charcoal gray pima cotton velveteen that I purchased from Fashion Fabrics Club.  This velveteen is absolutely gorgeous!  When it arrived, it was a little stiff, but after a trip through the wash, it came out incredibly soft and plush.


It has the added bonus of having a beautiful print on the back side, which worked out perfectly for an unlined jacket like this.  It's got a little burgundy, mustard and cream rose print, which I think adds a nice detail.  I know no one will see it, but I still really love it.



The plush velveteen will also make it a lot warmer to wear, even though it's not lined or insulated with anything else.


Because of the reversible print, I went to the extra work of binding all the seams.  It wasn't difficult, but definitely took longer than if I had just serged the seams.  I do love the extra touch it adds, though.  I bound all the seams with a warm yellow polka dot quilting cotton I had in my stash.  The instructions for the bound seams are great and result in a very professional finish.


I really debated what to do with the buttons.  I knew I wanted fabric covered buttons, but had a hard time deciding between covering them with the velveteen side of the fabric, covering them with the reverse printed side, or covering them with the yellow polka dot.  In the end, I decided on covering them with the velveteen body fabric, because it just looked so luxurious.  I think I made the right choice, but I may end up making a little flower pin for the outside just to add a fun touch.

I'm really pleased with the final product.  I think it will be a great fall jacket and, being a neutral, will go with a lot of different outfits.  It will also be practical for an almost-two-year-old, since it's cotton and can just be thrown in the wash.  I kind of wish I had one myself :)


3 comments:

  1. It gorgeous! The Sunday Brunch was the first pattern from O+S that caught my eye too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh it's perfect. I might need to make another sunday brunch. It does turn out such an adorable little jacket, eh? And your binding inside is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete